Whether you would prefer to sit on the patio overlooking the valley or take the kids on a day out, Basel Cottage is the perfect central location to explore Mid Wales and its beautiful surroundings. Take a look below at only a selection of things to do and places to visit.
Things to Do
- Walking – Basel Cottage is set in 17 acres of countryside of which guests and pets are free to roam. There are also plenty of nearby walking trails including the Crychan Forest trails where you can enjoy the tranquillity of the forest.
- Cycling – Crychan Forest is perfect for cycling in the forest and is not far from our cottage.
- Horse Riding – There are a number of places to go horse riding including Llangorse and Cantref riding centre.
- Water sports – Llangorse Lake offers the perfect place to enjoy watersports such as kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and sailing.
- Fishing – Day passes are available to fish on the River Towy.
- Bird Watching – You can enjoy the wildlife from the comfort of the gardens at Basel Cottage and we even have a Telescope you can use to take a closer look. The Red Kite Feeding Station is also nearby and worth a visit.
- Shopping – There are plenty of places to visit in search of good shops including Carmarthen, Swansea and Cardiff.
- Beaches – Basel Cottage is the perfect place to explore the coast, with nearby beaches such as Pembrey, Tenby, The Swansea Beaches, Newquay and the Cardigan coast.
- Llandovery Sheep Festival – Adventures in fun, food & wool. Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th September 2020.
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend – Are you a biker? Then why not join us in Llandovery, set in the beautiful Tywi Valley in Carmarthenshire in July each year for some family fun!
Places to Visit
- Dan Yr Ogof Show Caves
- The National Botanic Garden of Wales
- Aberglasney House and Gardens
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Newton House, Dynefwr Park & Castle
- Dolaucothi Gold Mines
- Oakwood Park
- Folly Farm
- Blue Lagoon
- The Heart of Wales Railway
- Cynghordy Viaduct
Had a relaxing week in an ideal cottage. Charming hosts. Enjoyed the chats. Best cottage we have stayed at in 40 years of cottage holidays. Many thanks both.
It was our second time here in Basel Cottage! All we can say is: In more than 10 years of holidays all over Great Britain, this definitely is the best cottage we have ever stayed in! The location is fantastic, so peaceful, so quiet! Thank you Sue & Jonah for everything – we will miss Wales and Basel Cottage! You are fantastic hosts! We do hope that we can come back again one day!!
Third stay, as good as the previous two. The warmest welcome again by Sue and Jonah. Will be back again. Diolch yn Fawr.
Thank you for a lovely week, well done with the weather!!! The cottage was wonderful and the views from the window seat were stunning. See you again!!!
Just perfect in every way. Truly dog friendly! The woods are lovely. Local walks great. Beautiful cottage, warm and cosy. Sue & Jonah fantastic hosts – would definitely recommend.
Stunning cottage in an amazing location. Thank you for the wonderful scones on arrival. Rebecca had never tried them before and she is now a big fan of them! We had a fantastic time visiting Hay on Wye and museums in Swansea after travelling on the Heart of Wales Railway. Also went on the lovely Gwili Steam Railway. Took in the wonderful scenery this area has to offer and recommend the roads around Lynne Briane Reservoir. Also recommend Pengawse Tea Rooms in Llandovery – lovely food and la…
Sundae and Fe (Brown and Black Labs) – Thank you Sue and Jonah – WE HAD FUN! xxx – so did we Alexia & Paul!
We had the most wonderful week here at Basel Cottage. The cottage is pure luxury and the best equipped cottage we have ever been to. The views and walks were fantastic. Sue & Jonah are brilliant hosts and our Cream Tea on arrival was an added bonus. We hope to return in the future.
We’ve spent two glorious weeks here in this beautiful cottage and stunning surroundings. A great property for Flint and Ruby to run freely – can’t fault anything. Perfect hosts thank you!
Thank you for a fantastic stay in your beautiful cottage. It has been so relaxing and comfortable. Henry has rejuvenated at least 5 years! A wonderful holiday!
- Basel Cottage Holidays Wins Gold in the Carmarthenshire Tourism Awards 2018/2019
- Basel Cottage Holidays announced as a Regional Winner in the National Tourism Awards for Wales 2018
- Aberglasney Gardens – Special Offer for January and February 2018!
- Finalist – Brecon Beacons Tourism Awards
- HRH The Prince of Wales Book Signing @ the launch of Llandovery Motorbike Weekend