Whether you would prefer to sit on the patio overlooking the valley or take the kids on a day out, Basel Cottage is the perfect central location to explore Mid Wales and its beautiful surroundings. Take a look below at only a selection of things to do and places to visit.
Things to Do
- Walking – Basel Cottage is set in 17 acres of countryside of which guests and pets are free to roam. There are also plenty of nearby walking trails including the Crychan Forest trails where you can enjoy the tranquillity of the forest.
- Cycling – Crychan Forest is perfect for cycling in the forest and is not far from our cottage.
- Horse Riding – There are a number of places to go horse riding including Llangorse and Cantref riding centre.
- Water sports – Llangorse Lake offers the perfect place to enjoy watersports such as kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and sailing.
- Fishing – Day passes are available to fish on the River Towy.
- Bird Watching – You can enjoy the wildlife from the comfort of the gardens at Basel Cottage and we even have a Telescope you can use to take a closer look. The Red Kite Feeding Station is also nearby and worth a visit.
- Shopping – There are plenty of places to visit in search of good shops including Carmarthen, Swansea and Cardiff.
- Beaches – Basel Cottage is the perfect place to explore the coast, with nearby beaches such as Pembrey, Tenby, The Swansea Beaches, Newquay and the Cardigan coast.
- Llandovery Sheep Festival – Adventures in fun, food & wool. Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd September 2019.
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend – Are you a biker? Then why not join us in Llandovery, set in the beautiful Tywi Valley in Carmarthenshire in July each year for some family fun!
Places to Visit
- Dan Yr Ogof Show Caves
- The National Botanic Garden of Wales
- Aberglasney House and Gardens
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Newton House, Dynefwr Park & Castle
- Dolaucothi Gold Mines
- Oakwood Park
- Folly Farm
- Blue Lagoon
- The Heart of Wales Railway
- Cynghordy Viaduct
We hate to leave! We felt welcome and honoured and we loved everything about our stay in this beautiful place.
We had another marvellous week here in Basel Cottage thanks to Sue & Jonah, this beautiful cottage and terrace, excellent walks and a lot of delicious Brownies and cream teas! We hope to come back soon.
Thank you Sue and Jonah for the warm welcome and a lovely week in Basel Cottage. Your holiday cottage is wonderful and is in such a great location. Will be sure to stay again!!
Had a lovely week here despite the weather. Excellent accommodation in a lovely setting. Had a lovely welcome by Sue with afternoon tea. Will have to come back when the sun is shining.
Lovely, spotless Cottage with fantastic views! Thank you for being such good hosts – and for helping us catch Maisie!!! Kindest thoughts xx and of course ‘woof woof’ from Maisie!
We have had a great week and intend to return. Hope to go the National Botanic Garden of Wales again on another ‘Doggy Day’ in the Spring.
Thanks for a lovely time at Basel Cottage, we really enjoyed it. This was the nicest and warmest place we’ve ever been on a trip, it was amazing!
Sue and Jonah, 2nd time for us in your lovely cottage. Weather’s not been that great but we had a relaxing week. Patch enjoyed it with plenty of walks with Barney and Teddy – they got on so well. Thank you for the Tea and Cream Scones when we arrived. You are great hosts! Hope to see you soon. All the best, Diane, Clive and Patch x
We had a wonderful time exploring some amazing places. Sue and Jonah made us very welcome and the cottage is beautiful. Riley had a lovely time meeting Barney and Teddy. Thank you for a great week. We would love to come back again 😁
Thank you Sue and Jonah for a lovely welcome and a very hospitable stay. Cottage the cleanest and the best-stocked we have ever stayed in! Lots of lovely dog walks despite the weather – rain, rain and more rain!! – Will return! xx P.S. Thanks for the dog-sitting, much appreciated!
- Basel Cottage Holidays Wins Gold in the Carmarthenshire Tourism Awards 2018/2019
- Basel Cottage Holidays announced as a Regional Winner in the National Tourism Awards for Wales 2018
- Aberglasney Gardens – Special Offer for January and February 2018!
- Finalist – Brecon Beacons Tourism Awards
- HRH The Prince of Wales Book Signing @ the launch of Llandovery Motorbike Weekend