Whether you would prefer to sit on the patio overlooking the valley or take the kids on a day out, Basel Cottage is the perfect central location to explore Mid Wales and its beautiful surroundings. Take a look below at only a selection of things to do and places to visit.
Things to Do
- Walking – Basel Cottage is set in 17 acres of countryside of which guests and pets are free to roam. There are also plenty of nearby walking trails including the Crychan Forest trails where you can enjoy the tranquillity of the forest.
- Cycling – Crychan Forest is perfect for cycling in the forest and is not far from our cottage.
- Horse Riding – There are a number of places to go horse riding including Llangorse and Cantref riding centre.
- Water sports – Llangorse Lake offers the perfect place to enjoy watersports such as kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and sailing.
- Fishing – Day passes are available to fish on the River Towy.
- Bird Watching – You can enjoy the wildlife from the comfort of the gardens at Basel Cottage and we even have a Telescope you can use to take a closer look. The Red Kite Feeding Station is also nearby and worth a visit.
- Shopping – There are plenty of places to visit in search of good shops including Carmarthen, Swansea and Cardiff.
- Beaches – Basel Cottage is the perfect place to explore the coast, with nearby beaches such as Pembrey, Tenby, The Swansea Beaches, Newquay and the Cardigan coast.
- Llandovery Sheep Festival – Adventures in fun, food & wool. Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th September 2020.
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend – Are you a biker? Then why not join us in Llandovery, set in the beautiful Tywi Valley in Carmarthenshire in July each year for some family fun!
Places to Visit
- Dan Yr Ogof Show Caves
- The National Botanic Garden of Wales
- Aberglasney House and Gardens
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Newton House, Dynefwr Park & Castle
- Dolaucothi Gold Mines
- Oakwood Park
- Folly Farm
- Blue Lagoon
- The Heart of Wales Railway
- Cynghordy Viaduct
Once again we had a really relaxing time. Great welcoming tea. Dogs remembered you and enjoyed the runs in the fields. See you both next year. Thanks.
We have taken cottage holidays for many years but have never found a place so perfect. We will be back!
We had a wonderful week staying at your beautiful cottage. From the moment we arrived until the day we left you made us so welcome – a holiday we will never forget. Thank you.
Our 2nd visit to Sue and Jonah’s lovely cottage. We love this place and what a good week of weather we have had!! We have walked every day – old favourites and new routes: Castles, Forts, Roman sites, not forgetting the Gin Haus Deli in Llandeilo and The Castle Hotel in Llandovery . We are booking in for our 3rd visit Sue!
By far the best cottage we have stayed in!! Sue and Jonah welcomed us with such warmth and have continued to be great hosts and company throughout our stay. We cannot wait to come back again!! Willow has loved the field and woods as well as sitting in the window watching the birds. Thank you for a relaxing break. This is a very special, magical place.
We had another marvellous week here in Basel Cottage thanks to Sue & Jonah, this beautiful cottage and terrace, excellent walks and a lot of delicious Brownies and cream teas! We hope to come back soon.
Totally fabulous – Much love x
A lovely warm welcome in one of the best cottages we have stayed in. Pity about the weather, but it did get better!
A wonderful week in a perfect cottage. Sue and Jonah are wonderful hosts – helpful but not intrusive! We walked Pen Y Fan and Llyn Y Fan Fach – great to explore an area of Wales we don’t know well. The gardens and woods, hills and river are great for children and dogs; especially beautiful with the bluebells in bloom! We would love to come back one day.
We have really enjoyed our week at Basel Cottage. The welcome with scones and tea was much appreciated. Sue and Jonah have been great hosts, making sure we had everything we needed. The standard of accommodation is first class and very comfortable. Sheba certainly enjoyed her walks! Watching the wildlife from the lounge window-seat was brilliant and we have many photos! We have been quite lucky with the weather apart from the storm on Friday! We have had several cottage holidays bu…
- Basel Cottage Holidays Wins Gold in the Carmarthenshire Tourism Awards 2018/2019
- Basel Cottage Holidays announced as a Regional Winner in the National Tourism Awards for Wales 2018
- Aberglasney Gardens – Special Offer for January and February 2018!
- Finalist – Brecon Beacons Tourism Awards
- HRH The Prince of Wales Book Signing @ the launch of Llandovery Motorbike Weekend