Whether you would prefer to sit on the patio overlooking the valley or take the kids on a day out, Basel Cottage is the perfect central location to explore Mid Wales and its beautiful surroundings. Take a look below at only a selection of things to do and places to visit.
Things to Do
- Walking – Basel Cottage is set in 17 acres of countryside of which guests and pets are free to roam. There are also plenty of nearby walking trails including the Crychan Forest trails where you can enjoy the tranquillity of the forest.
- Cycling – Crychan Forest is perfect for cycling in the forest and is not far from our cottage.
- Horse Riding – There are a number of places to go horse riding including Llangorse and Cantref riding centre.
- Water sports – Llangorse Lake offers the perfect place to enjoy watersports such as kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and sailing.
- Fishing – Day passes are available to fish on the River Towy.
- Bird Watching – You can enjoy the wildlife from the comfort of the gardens at Basel Cottage and we even have a Telescope you can use to take a closer look. The Red Kite Feeding Station is also nearby and worth a visit.
- Shopping – There are plenty of places to visit in search of good shops including Carmarthen, Swansea and Cardiff.
- Beaches – Basel Cottage is the perfect place to explore the coast, with nearby beaches such as Pembrey, Tenby, The Swansea Beaches, Newquay and the Cardigan coast.
- Llandovery Sheep Festival – Adventures in fun, food & wool. Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd September 2019.
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend – Are you a biker? Then why not join us in Llandovery, set in the beautiful Tywi Valley in Carmarthenshire in July each year for some family fun!
Places to Visit
- Dan Yr Ogof Show Caves
- The National Botanic Garden of Wales
- Aberglasney House and Gardens
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Newton House, Dynefwr Park & Castle
- Dolaucothi Gold Mines
- Oakwood Park
- Folly Farm
- Blue Lagoon
- The Heart of Wales Railway
- Cynghordy Viaduct
Our 6th stay here at Basel Cottage and once again a lovely warm welcome from you both! We have had a relaxing few days and will definitely be back. Best wishes and thank you both XXX .
A beautiful cottage from which to explore the wonderful countryside. We have been made to feel so welcome by Sue and Jonah and will come again!
A lovely week. Cottage great as usual – weather was kind to us. Yolande loves Wales, but this was her first time back since she was a child. Hope to see you again next year – Our week to relax! Thank you.
Had a relaxing week in an ideal cottage. Best cottage we have stayed at in 40 years of cottage holidays. (Pity we have no dog!)
What a beautiful cottage and lovely views. Finn and Jake loved the woods. A very warm welcome from Sue and Jonah and lovely to meet Barney and Teddy. Thank you so much for a lovely week. XXX
Stunning cottage in an amazing location. Thank you for the wonderful scones on arrival. Rebecca had never tried them before and she is now a big fan of them! We had a fantastic time visiting Hay on Wye and museums in Swansea after travelling on the Heart of Wales Railway. Also went on the lovely Gwili Steam Railway. Took in the wonderful scenery this area has to offer and recommend the roads around Lynne Briane Reservoir. Also recommend Pengawse Tea Rooms in Llandovery – lovely food and la…
What a beautiful cottage! Thank you for such a lovely welcome including the Cream Tea!
Our 2nd stay at this fantastic cottage. Sue and Jonah gave us a very warm welcome and looked after us well during our week. The cottage was beautifully decorated for Christmas and the log burner gave it an extra cosy feel. We have really enjoyed our stay over the New Year and will definitely be back soon. Thanks Sue and Jonah! X
Our fifth visit and as always a fabulous stay! We hope to see you again soon!
Beautiful cottage and surroundings. We had the most relaxing time – so peaceful, brilliant!
- Basel Cottage Holidays Wins Gold in the Carmarthenshire Tourism Awards 2018/2019
- Basel Cottage Holidays announced as a Regional Winner in the National Tourism Awards for Wales 2018
- Aberglasney Gardens – Special Offer for January and February 2018!
- Finalist – Brecon Beacons Tourism Awards
- HRH The Prince of Wales Book Signing @ the launch of Llandovery Motorbike Weekend