Whether you would prefer to sit on the patio overlooking the valley or take the kids on a day out, Basel Cottage is the perfect central location to explore Mid Wales and its beautiful surroundings. Take a look below at only a selection of things to do and places to visit.
Things to Do
- Walking – Basel Cottage is set in 17 acres of countryside of which guests and pets are free to roam. There are also plenty of nearby walking trails including the Crychan Forest trails where you can enjoy the tranquillity of the forest.
- Cycling – Crychan Forest is perfect for cycling in the forest and is not far from our cottage.
- Horse Riding – There are a number of places to go horse riding including Llangorse and Cantref riding centre.
- Water sports – Llangorse Lake offers the perfect place to enjoy watersports such as kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and sailing.
- Fishing – Day passes are available to fish on the River Towy.
- Bird Watching – You can enjoy the wildlife from the comfort of the gardens at Basel Cottage and we even have a Telescope you can use to take a closer look. The Red Kite Feeding Station is also nearby and worth a visit.
- Shopping – There are plenty of places to visit in search of good shops including Carmarthen, Swansea and Cardiff.
- Beaches – Basel Cottage is the perfect place to explore the coast, with nearby beaches such as Pembrey, Tenby, The Swansea Beaches, Newquay and the Cardigan coast.
- Llandovery Sheep Festival – Adventures in fun, food & wool. Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd September 2019.
- Llandovery Motorbike Weekend – Are you a biker? Then why not join us in Llandovery, set in the beautiful Tywi Valley in Carmarthenshire in July each year for some family fun!
Places to Visit
- Dan Yr Ogof Show Caves
- The National Botanic Garden of Wales
- Aberglasney House and Gardens
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Newton House, Dynefwr Park & Castle
- Dolaucothi Gold Mines
- Oakwood Park
- Folly Farm
- Blue Lagoon
- The Heart of Wales Railway
- Cynghordy Viaduct
This is our 2nd visit to Basel Cottage and it is just as we remembered it – FANTASTIC! Thank you Sue & Jonah for making us feel so welcome – we will be back!
We have had a very relaxing week with lots of birds to watch. Cottage is so comfortable and nice cream tea as a welcome. See you next year.
We have had a lovely week unwinding. Sue and Jonah are wonderfully hospitable. Thank you for making us feel so welcome!
Thank you so much for your warm welcome and hospitality. We all throughly enjoyed our stay, the boys had such fun playing hide and seek in the woods and we had lots of laughs down at the river with Rocky. A really special place run by special people. Thanks for a holiday to remember.
Stunning cottage, stunning location and warm and friendly welcome. We certainly hope to return.
Fantastic hosts, wonderful place! Our second stay at Basel Cottage where we have had a very relaxing four days. Weather was good for time of year, sunshine, showers, snow & frost – we will be back!
Well, our 3 weeks have flown by! We’ve walked, revisiting old haunts and finding new places. Roman roads, stone circles, castles, all in wonderful scenery. Tan’s had a whale of a time with his friends Barney and Teddy. Thank you so much, Sue and Jonah for your wonderful place and our evening walks. We will be back for a 5th visit!
Our stay in Basel Cottage can be described in one word – ‘Perfect!!’ Thank you.
Thanks Sue and Jonah for our magical week at Basel Cottage. We have loved every minute at this tranquil spot you both have created.
8th visit and as good as the first one and all the others that followed! Thanks Sue and Jonah for the warm welcome again. It was so nice to see Max and Boyce get on so well with Barney and Teddy.
Diolch Yn Fawr!
- Basel Cottage Holidays Wins Gold in the Carmarthenshire Tourism Awards 2018/2019
- Basel Cottage Holidays announced as a Regional Winner in the National Tourism Awards for Wales 2018
- Aberglasney Gardens – Special Offer for January and February 2018!
- Finalist – Brecon Beacons Tourism Awards
- HRH The Prince of Wales Book Signing @ the launch of Llandovery Motorbike Weekend